Calories: 502 (126 calories per serving)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 large sweet or yellow onion, chopped
- 4 ounces of wild mushrooms, sliced thick
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped (remove top and bottom)
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 quart of low-sodium, low-fat chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons of chopped thyme
- 2 tablespoons of kudzu root power
- 2 lemons, cut in half
- Separate all parts of chicken, rinse, pat dry and rub with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 lemon on bottom Dutch oven or deep cast iron pot with lid.
- Place chicken on top of lemon.
- Mix chicken broth, garlic cloves, fennel, onions, mushrooms, bay leaf and 1 tablespoon of thyme.
- Heat the mixture on high in a large saucepan until it simmers.
- Take mixture off heat and pour mix over chicken.
- Cover chicken and mixture and place on medium high heat.
- After 20 minutes, add kudzu root power to mixture and squeeze lemon juice of remaining lemon on top of chicken.
- Add more water if chicken seems dry.
- Cook for remaining 10 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Serve on its own or on top of quinoa, brown rice, or millet.