Nutrients per serving: Calories: 75, Total Fat: 2g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Carbs: 23g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 2g, Protein: 9g, Sodium: 189mg, Cholesterol: 7mg
Yield: 6 servings Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes (note the process of soaking beans increases prep and cook time)
- 1 cup dried black beans, rinsed (optional: 1 can of BPA-free black beans)
- 1/2 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 minced clove of garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 2 tbsp chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp chopped red or green bell pepper
- Fresh cilantro sprigs for garnish
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- Place dried black beans in water and apple cider vinegar or lemon juice – cover beans with water by 1 inch. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight (12-24 hours).
- Drain beans (when using canned black beans – drain and rinse).
- Finely chop white onion and mince garlic.
- Transfer beans to a medium saucepan and add white onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, oregano, salt and 3 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Partially cover and cook until beans are tender, about 40 minutes (when using canned black beans, add ¼ cup of water and simmer until beans and white onions are tender, about 15-20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, make pico de gallo; In a small bowl, combine tomato, red onion and bell pepper. Set aside.
- Allow beans to cool.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer beans to pico de gallo mixture.
- Garnish with cilantro. Enjoy by itself or with baked organic corn chips (approximately 110 calories for 1 oz.)